Whoa, has it been an emotional couple of days. I left Richmond Thursday afternoon on a plane bound west for Denver and two interviews on Friday. The first of the day, which I was able to schedule at the last minute, went very well and I left feeling confident and ready for the "big" interview later in the afternoon, which I also felt good about afterward. I spent the rest of my time on the ground in Denver exploring the city and . . . I adore it. Easy to navigate and gorgeous views at every turn and at the crest of every hill.
Amy, my Boulder resident co-host for the weekend, and I strolled into a great neighborhood I'd seen off the interstate called Lower Highland which is adjacent to an even better neighborhood called Lower Downtown. We happened upon an apartment community on the Platte river that I hope to call home when the fates find me a job. There are sprawling parks, walking and biking trails, yet it feels very hip and urban and just a short walk from Union Station, the lite rail, and downtown Denver. Oh, Colorado, how you woo me.
I reluctantly flew home early Sunday morning but Monday brought it's own load of joy when Andrew Bird rolled into Richmond to play a show at The National. My other friend Aimee, a big time A. Bird fan like me, saved me a first-come, first-serve seat upstairs and we had a great view of the stage. The show was fantastic -- best I've seen or heard of Andrew Bird yet. In fact, it goes down as one of the best shows I've seen, ever. The new material from Noble Beast was strong but the songs from Mysterious Production of Eggs and Armchair Apocrypha were what really blew me away. Bird, who brought his good friend Martin Dosh on tour with him again, was apologizing for a scratchy throat but other than a few coughs, I thought he sounded as lovely as ever. With his violin never far from his side, he played a solid set.
Bird and two of his bandmates came back for the first encore and he played an old-fashioned tune, un-plugged, on the violin which sounded more like a fiddle. It was a perfect way to end a Richmond show. But, that wasn't all. When he took his shoes, which he kicked off two songs in, off stage with him the second time we were sure the show was over, but the house lights never went up. He and his small band returned and when the first notes of Fake Palindromes lifted into the venue I was a mess of squeals and laughter. I could have exploded with happiness at that very moment. He was playing my all-time favorite from his lengthy songbook and all I could do was giggle with pure delight. I am still riding on a cloud after that show. Best $23 I've spent in months. Buy his music and if you have the opportunity catch him on tour, do it. The people in the know say that this may be your last chance to see him in smaller venues as the release of Noble Beast is expected to rocket him to the top. I wish him all the success he deserves but selfishly hope he stays modest and lovely, just as he is now.
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment